Yes. That is true. But what I used is a FeatureGroup element. Then,
under the FeatureGroup Element, I use a mergeref.  So I have something
like:

  <Fragment>

        <FeatureGroup Id="grpRequiredFeatures">

            <Feature Id="fC" Title="FeatureFC" Level="1"
Absent="disallow" Display="hidden">

                <MergeRef Id="MFC" />

                <MergeRef Id="MFCPolicy" />

            </Feature>

        </FeatureGroup>

    </Fragment>

But that still presents a problem because it appears you can't include
one feature under multiple features... Is that correct? I keep getting:

"error LGHT0095 : Multiple primary references were found for Feature
'fC' ...

Is there really no way to group these merge modules (and possibly other
components) together and use them under different features.

Sounds like what I have to do is to include each MergeRef multiple
times.  So fA and fB must both include MergeRef MFC and MergeRef
MFCPolicy...

So if I have 10 merge modules that should get delivered with two
different features, I will end up with 20 MergeRef lines? Is there no
better way to group merge modules together and use them in different
features?

BTW - part of me doing this is so that the "next" button on the "Feature
Selection" screen gets disabled. However, even when I have nothing
selected in the Feature Tree, the next button is still enabled. How do I
stop that?