Hi Richard

It's not the shortcut @Target but the @Name I wanted to vary.

>Shortcut [..] ICE

There seems NOT to be any other solution than to use a dummy current user(!)
registry entry according to various blog entries by the "gurus". I just want
to have a non-advertised Shortcut to an exe that I install and one to
another (third party) exe I found using FileSearch.
Solution:
http://robmensching.com/blog/archive/2007/04/27/How-to-create-an-uninstall-s
hortcut-and-pass-all-the.aspx
(the uninstaller example is obviously a bad thing to do, but the solution
applies to my problem as well)
If you know another solution (through WiX), glad to revise that.

> You might as well criticize WiX because it doesn't solve world hunger.

Like I said: "So dont't blame WiX, except maybe for not making the "thin
wrapper catch" clear from the beginning."

>My aversion to CA's is that for some reason people immediately rush to
>create a CA when most of the time the standard actions already do what
>they want.

That's exactly how I felt at the beginning. I set goals very alike those of
Chris in his second post. "zero CA's if possible". I can only laugh at that
now.

Just two examples

Pop Quiz 1:

You have a configuration file (.ini, XML, database, etc.). The user can
change the preferences saved in it during normal use of the application (no
elevated priviledges required). You would like to provide an initial setting
with your installer. But of course the file should not be overwritten on
[major] update or repair.

Oulandish requirement? I don't think so.

Possible with MSI? No!

Pop Quiz 2:

I want to read an .ini file entry from outside the Windows folder into a
property. Why .ini and not Registry? In our case it's because the .ini may
reside on a network server. Million other reasons thinkable.

Outlandish requirement? I don't think so.

Possible with MSI? No!

Regarding self-made CAs:

I'm a professional, university trained developer with lots of theoretical
and practical background in multi-user concurrent transaction processing,
serializability and all. I know all about the complexities of "commits and
rollbacks".

I know enough NOT to meddle with the transactional actions of the installer.
My CAs are purely side effect free, except for setting properties. The real
work is left to MSI. The CAs read some .ini files and mostly perform logic
on properties that MSI can't. They set new properties to condition actions,
components and dialogs.

This is also the reason why I postponed the setup of non-static files (Pop
Quiz 1) to the first application start, so I don't have to handle the
rollback case.

No really. Chris' initial statement really sums it up:

"I can't believe how much making Windows Installer based installs sucks - I
mean really sucks! Did we just invent this technology to make us hate our
lives?"

Cheers,

Mark.