I think they are.  Everytime you hear things like `solve the applicartion
problem`,  `custom actions are an admission of failure`, `we won't implement
that feature`,   `There are few setup experiences more stable than an
application that simply needs a bunch of files installed`, I believe that very
notion is being implied.

  On one hand I understand why you'd say it, and in theory I agree with it.
But in practice it's not possible.  The reality is even if you are lucky enough
to be in a shop where the developers/architects believe that their design
choices should be guided by integration ( read build/install ) implications,
they rarely have the specialized domain knowledge to know what those
implications are because they usually never touched a build or an install while
they were cutting their programming teath.    Setup is rarely taught, it's not
included in books, it's not included in certifications and if you offer up a
lecture at work or at a code camp you won't get anyone to come.   The reality
is they are much more interested in discussing the merits of    the latest new
thing.  ( Agile, Scrum, ALT.NET, WCF, WPF, SliverLight, DSL's are very popular
topics at my local DNUG ... no one is interested in MSI ).

  So from my perspective, I try to influence upstream design decisions but when
it doesn't happen the way I'd like, I do what all good Marines do:  Adapt and
Overcome.

Neil Sleightholm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

  >>In any reasonably professional shop you can't just say "hey, MSI doesn't
>>support doing that, we just can't have that in our application!".

I don't think anyone was suggesting that but if you new it would need a custom
action, for example, you could either not do it that way or schedule in writing
one.

  Neil

  Neil Sleightholm
X2 Systems Limited