I think we’ve covered the whole gambit of issues on this thread.  I am going
through all of them and will try to collect all the issues raised here and
attempt to answer some the open questions over time.

However, this particular comment made me chuckle:

                “They solved the 8.3 filename issue in WiX V3.. I believe they
can do more.”

Heh.  “They” is *us*.  You and you and you and you over there who doesn’t talk
much.  This mailing list, this place where we talk about what we do with the
WiX toolset and the Windows Installer, this is where we live.  This is where we
get work done.  This is where we make the world a better place one line of code
or one question answered or one piece of feedback at a time.  You may think
that’s all flowery language or complete and utter bullshit but that is how I
see what we (all of us) are doing here.  We are a community built around using
the WiX toolset and making it better.

The WiX toolset isn’t done.  Nobody here is arguing that there isn’t more that
we can do to make the experience better.  Just look at our bug list and you can
see literally hundreds of places where we are *clearly* not done.  IMHO, there
is so much work to do the real question is about what gets done next.

All I ask is that you remember that there are people here.  We work on code, we
talk about code, but this place is about people.  I understand that the
technology (both MSI and WiX) can be frustrating.  Trust me, we all know that.
I also appreciate that sometimes you just have to rant to get it out of your
system.  It’s fine if you want to do that here (I always read rants about
actual problems since they almost always point at some pain point we have yet
to address).  But don’t make it personal.  I can assure you that no one here is
actively working to make your life harder.  Instead, I encourage you to
consider yourself a member of this community and frame your feedback such that
it can help us improve the toolset or the community itself.

Finally, I disagree with the sentiment that this thread was doomed from the
beginning.  Open (and preferably respectful) debate is one of the best ways to
explore the spectrum of options and issues available for us to solve.  You
underestimate the power you have in this community if you think that debates
like this (that were mostly respectful <smile/>) have no impact.