First, thank you for the excellent points about several of the
features that we put in for legacy platforms, but I'd like to politely
disagree with the idea that MSI corporate deployments are very rare.
Just to provide a different view, as someone who cut their teeth on
MSI back in the good old 1.0 days repackaging for corporate deployment
and having since been involved in medium and large corporate
deployments as well as ensuring that the large corporate deployment
pattern was part of the design of several first party installation
projects, I can state from experience that the use of Windows
Installer is alive and well for corporate deployments. The default
application set on my desktop at work is entirely MSI managed by SMS
and IME that is not nearly as uncommon as you seem to indicate. Even
in the case of Citrix and similar pseudo-virtualization scenarios, the
primary method that I have encountered for deployment to those
environments (and some of the new patterns I'm having to take into
account) is based around MSI.

As has been pointed out fairly often in this thread, installation
development and application deployment is far from a narrow field in
the Windows ecosystem. The design of a setup has to take into account
a huge array of variation in the target platform that leads to a
certain level of complexity. As you pointed out, factoring in the huge
legacy of quirks of previous operating systems as well as the new
features (some of which I'm sure will be considered quirks in five
years time :-) ) just adds to that complexity.

I would also just like to add a small thanks for the obviously
conscious effort to try and keep this thread from devolving into the
flame war it could have been.

--
--Nathan Stohlmann
Minneapolis, MN USA