Last year the MSBuild team had a very interesting blog asking people if they
had $100 to spend on MSBuild how would they spend it?   They then went on to
give a list of possible priorities.

  I think it would be very beneficial if both the MSI team and the WiX virtual
team would have similar blog posts.     When doing it, be sure to include a
broad list of features that consumers would want not just things the teams want.

  For the MSI team, my wish would be that they put a lot more work into
properly behaving custom action sandboxes so that consuming EXE's and Managed
Code DLL's wouldn't be problematic.

Justin Rockwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
                Interesting discussion so far. I just wanted to chime in a
little here. I think Mathias is correct here in stating that there are some
real problems with Windows Installer (and thereby Wix in its current form). I
work on the dang thing but I still get frustrated at Windows Installer. It's
just too hard to do simple things. Right now, Wix is a wrapper on top of MSI,
and while we are trying to make things simpler by bundling in custom actions,
providing some guidance on how to write "correct" installers, providing a
development environment via Votive, etc. we still have a long, long way to go
before it's really easy for devs not conversant in all of the intricacies of
MSI. We'll get there eventually, but slowly. As always, we are open to
constructive feedback and will try our best to pass on some of your feedback to
the Windows Installer group.

  Thanks,
  Justin