> Don't blame the tools as there are plenty of people out there using
these tools and making them work seemlessly and quickly on a day to day
basis.

Well, you can't just disregard the large majority of people who are
struggling a lot with this. And you can't disregard the "developer
perspective", because developers are the people that have to deal with
this.

Sure, one part of the story is about expectations and the learning curve
of installation. Before building an installation package, you expect it
to be pretty easy, like a couple of days work. Then when you start doing
it you find out that the level of investment necessary to complete a
working real world installer is not 10 but maybe 100 times greater than
what you expected, or more (yes, for real, I'm not making this up). And
we are talking very experienced people here, not rookie devs.

Having to invest your time so heavily to get so little tangible result
back is a shock to most people. And when all the bumps, twists and turns
of the technology are added on top of that learning process there will
be frustration.

Now, I'm not much for nursing cry baby mentality either. It will get you
nowhere. But I do feel that there is a case to be made here about not
putting up with things that are overburdening. This is the other part of
the story.

If the tools can be improved to make installation simpler, why settle
for less?

Or are installer technology and the tools already as good as they can
ever become?

No. Identify the stuff that can be made easier with better tools. Reduce
some of the burden of that complexity you are referring to and
streamline the more common stories to ease the learning curve. That's
what should be done.

> http://john.mcfadyen.spaces.live.com
<http://john.mcfadyen.spaces.live.com/>

Domain lookup of that comes up blank. Do you have another link? I sure
could use some info on those undocumented features.

/Mathias