I just had to respond to this. Sorry for picking it back up.

XCOPY simplicity in an MSI package is very easy to do. You use empty component
guids and change your ProductCode on every single build. You don't ever patch,
and removal doesn't do anything (files are left behind). For a complete
solution, suppress the component and product registration actions and you won't
show up in ARP or have any other side-effects of MSI installation. You can even
use SelfReg for your DLLs!

BINGO: XCOPY in an MSI package. And, you get a more user-friendly Files-In-Use
as a bonus (xcopy never did that!).

Now, you also don't get COM/Registry registration, Firewall registration, Shell
integration, Web-Site registration, Application repair, or any of a thousand
other things that xcopy never did either. And, if you share any binaries you
are back in DLL hell. There's a reason we don't do xcopy deployments anymore
for the past ten years, and that is because the platform doesn't support xcopy
deployed products for much more than trivial platform integrations.

Most developers want a lot of things made more simple, but we have learned to
compromise and trade some complexity for some shared increased functionality.
Most installations are not 7000 files, and most don't change their file lists
daily, and for that majority,
code-the-components-once-and-keep-them-in-source-code is absolutely the right
way to go (it even gives you the benefit of a build exception/error if a file
is missing). For those very few caught in the masses of constantly changing
file lists, they need to ask what they really need from the platforms they
deploy against and what level of effort is warranted. Last time I asked my
developers, they didn't want to not think, they just don't know what to ask;
and what they want is the simplest structure within which they can get the best
deployment strategy they need for the parts of the platforms they write
against. Since MSI is a platform for enabling just about any deployment
strategy possible on a modern Microsoft Win
 dows platform, it has to enable support for all kinds of crap that xcopy could
never do. While the architecture of Windows Installer doesn't lend itself to
ease-of-correct-use, it does enable almost any scale deployment solution to be
created in a correct fashion.

It isn't that the analysis has paralyzed us, it is that no one has volunteered
a better architecture that works as well with the admittedly too-complicated
platform (Windows and all its "environments") we have. The best way out of this
is to simplify those environments (COM/IIS/etc.) from a deployment perspective
and we can then craft a replacement deployment platform that is simpler. But of
course platforms haven't been required to think through most deployment
scenarios when engineering their platforms (COM+, anyone?). In fact, platforms
on Windows don't even have to come from Microsoft. Until then, you can simplify
for some with a different platform, but at the cost of dropping support for
others. There are enough of those others that an industry dedicated to
deployment technologies is alive and well.

Besides, if programming were really easy to do right, we wouldn't ask for
college education for those entering the field, and we wouldn't be paid enough
to support our families, since solutions involving not thinking can be employed
by anyone, correct?