From: Rob Mensching [mailto:r...@wixtoolset.org]
Sent: Fri 20/02/2009 09:58
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] DTF - install, rollback and uninstall

There is a helper function in wcautil that is usually a tell tale sign
you've found the code ::WcaGetComponentToDo().  The old school way (most
of serverca uses the old school) is to call
WcaIsInstalling()/WcaIsReInstalling()/WcaIsUninstalling() to determine
the scheduling.  WcaGetComponentToDo() is a nice wrapper that cleans up
much of the confusion.

Using conditions to control your CustomAction install/uninstall
behaviors is primitive and usually insufficient... but the most
visible.  Data driven CustomActions that modify machine state via
Resources should really use Component states.  That matches the design
of the Windows Installer.