From: Yan Sklyarenko [mailto:y...@sitecore.net]
Sent: 03 August 2009 15:09
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] How to create the installation package, which
is able to upgrade

First of all, I would encourage you to get acquainted with the resources
below:
   - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370579(VS.85).aspx and
all descendants - this is essential info about upgrades
   - http://www.joyofsetup.com/2008/12/30/paying-for-upgrades/ - a great
summary from Bob (and comments)
   - the topic "How To: Implement a Major Upgrade In Your Installer" and
"Patch Building" section in wix.chm

Lots of text, I know, but you'd better read and understand it now.
Good luck.

-- Yan