Guten Tag Thorsten and thanks.

I have not built a custom action yet but will look at that approach "iff" my
custom action can set WIX properties that another custom action or wix
element can use afterwards.

If I can run my CA before the <ServiceInstall> element then it could just
refer to the properties my CA just set for account and password.

I have not fooled with CA's or sequencing yet but I think this is what I
would need to do. Is this possible? Do I need to use sequencing?

A-run my custom action that sets account and password properties.
B-run <ServiceInstall> that uses those properties.
C-run a CA to start the service

Or if I cannot run a CA before the <ServiceInstall> then

A-run <ServiceInstall>
B-run my custom action that sets account and password properties.
C-run a CA to execute the "sc config" command to set the account and
password
D-run a CA to start the service

Also, I read something about two passes through custom actions. Is that an
issue?

Will a log of the install show the <ServiceInstall> output in clear text and
thus show my password as well?

If logging in clear text is an issue, it would be nice if <ServiceInstall>
could call a custom action directly passing ServiceProcessInstaller object
so that it could be modified at install time.

Any links to building and sequencing a custom action before and after
<ServiceInstall> would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave