From: Blair [mailto:os...@live.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2009 5:46 PM
To: 'General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.'
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Which way to install a Windows service is best?

If I were you I would use option 4. I would write an immediate CA that
retrieves and decrypts the account and password that I would schedule in
InstallExecuteSequence running sometime before the InstallServices action (I
would probably sequence it before CostInitialize, but that is just me).

That CA you write you should write using DTF if you need to use managed
code. Don't depend on a file you are installing being present in that CA and
don't depend on anything you will be adding to the GAC, which means you may
need to copy your code OR add assemblies to your CA to be used "locally" as
described in the DTF documentation for creating custom actions.

Each of your other options (including the second part of option 4) are all
forms of "self-registration" which are considered evil when it comes to
reliably being able to perform upgrades, repairs, rollbacks, removals, etc.
Please don't do them: self-registration is probably the MOST frequent cause
of MSI errors globally.

Professional deployment engineers tend to hate the VS-supplied deployment
solutions because they produce fragile installation packages that cause more
maintenance headaches than the generally solve. They are NOT a good example
to follow.