First of all, thank you so much for your reply, Bob.

There are a couple of other things, not sure if related:
1. Only 3 files cause the problem. According to the developer, one dll file is
a COM component, the manifest is associated with the COM dll, another dll is
used by the COM dll. I also noticed the COM dll is registered by using
regsvr32.exe in a custom action. Not sure if this is the problem. But I've a
feeling that COM registration doesn't work that way even I never register a COM
in Wix.
2. Those two DLL files will cause 'Error 2836' directly. But the manifest file
will cause the installer showing 'The system can not find the file specified.'
first then showing the 'Error 2836'. So this is slightly different from those
two DLL files.
3. I did look at the dll files' property, they seem normal. By using Orca, I
also looked at the File table, these files entries look the same as others.

>From #1, my guess is the COM registration could cause the problem, but I'm not
>sure. Please point out if my guess is correct or not:
1. If my guess is correct, please post some links here about how to register a
COM component correctly in 2.0. Meanwhile, I'll dig in this topic as well.
2. If my guess isn't correct, please point me out where I should look into, or
which file or flag or something I should check.

Thanks a lot.