I have noticed a weird scenario similar to 1). In my case, I'm using the IIs
custom actions in WiX 3.5. Sometimes the package fails with a 1603 error during
WriteIIs7ConfigChanges. Rerunning the package succeeds. The error information I
see in the log is always consistent and looks like this:

MSI (s) (04:48) [10:20:12:899]: Executing op:
CustomActionSchedule(Action=WriteIIS7ConfigChanges,ActionType=11265,Source=BinaryData,Target=**********,CustomActionData=**********)
MSI (s) (04:30) [10:20:12:906]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL:
C:\Windows\Installer\MSI259A.tmp, Entrypoint: WriteIIS7ConfigChanges
WriteIIS7ConfigChanges:  Error 0x80070103: Failed read webDir webkey
WriteIIS7ConfigChanges:  Error 0x80070103: Failed to configure IIS web svc ext.
WriteIIS7ConfigChanges:  Error 0x80070103: WriteIIS7ConfigChanges Failed.
CustomAction WriteIIS7ConfigChanges returned actual error code 1603 (note this
may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 10:20:13: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

I looked through the WiX code to try to identify what might generated the
"Failed read webDir webkey" message and found a few locations. I think the
error occurs when the custom action is trying to parse the data out of
CustomActionData but when I try to follow the data back to its source (I
struggled here...) it seemed to me that CustomActionData should not have had
anything in it for that particular piece of code because the source table does
not exist in my package.

I don't know whether this is a bug in the WiX IIs custom actions or something
more sinister, like a Windows Installer API bug!

Edwin G. Castro
Software Developer - Staff
Digital Channels
Fiserv
Office: 503-746-0643
Fax: 503-617-0291
www.fiserv.com
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail