Are these problems in 3.5 or 3.6? Last year I discovered a defect in DTF
wherein a race condition upon completion of a DTF custom action call would
cause a failure return to Windows Installer, even when the managed code
custom action itself returned success. That was fixed in 3.6, but the bug
remains in 3.5. The race condition is in the native wrapper code. It tends
to manifest only when there is a heavy load (either CPU or disk) in the
machine at the moment that the custom action is completing, and thus was
very difficult to reproduce (I was fortunate enough to have exactly one box
that reproduced it with any (but still uncertain) regularity, out of dozens
of other boxes that would never reproduce it).

You can take the SfxCA.dll files from recent builds of 3.6 and use them with
3.5's RTM build to get that race condition fix and an unrelated memory leak
fix. I don't remember the bug numbers, but I do remember the investigation
and fix of the race condition.

I don't know what would cause the QuietExec issue, however.

-Blair