From: "Blair" <os...@live.com>

Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:14 PM

To: "General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset."
<wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net>, chr...@iswix.com

Subject: RE: [WiX-users] Two Wierd Installer Problems - DTF and QuietExec

Are these problems in 3.5 or 3.6? Last year I discovered a defect in DTF

wherein a race condition upon completion of a DTF custom action call would

cause a failure return to Windows Installer, even when the managed code

custom action itself returned success. That was fixed in 3.6, but the bug

remains in 3.5. The race condition is in the native wrapper code. It tends

to manifest only when there is a heavy load (either CPU or disk) in the

machine at the moment that the custom action is completing, and thus was

very difficult to reproduce (I was fortunate enough to have exactly one
box

that reproduced it with any (but still uncertain) regularity, out of
dozens

of other boxes that would never reproduce it).

You can take the SfxCA.dll files from recent builds of 3.6 and use them
with

3.5's RTM build to get that race condition fix and an unrelated memory
leak

fix. I don't remember the bug numbers, but I do remember the investigation

and fix of the race condition.

I don't know what would cause the QuietExec issue, however.

-Blair