I've validated my MSM in Orca. At first, I got a lot of ICE33 warnings
because of some COM registration logic. To rule out that this was
causing my problems, I removed this registration logic and validated the
MSM again. Now the validation completes, but ends with:
Execution       ERROR   There is a problem with this Windows Installer
package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run.
Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

I'm using Orca with the darice.cub of WIX 3.6 BETA

Looking further in Orca, I saw 2 tables (ModuleInstallExecuteSequence
and ModuleInstallUISequence) which both contained an action called
AppSearch with a Sequence of 50. I guess the actions of these tables are
moved to the InstallExecuteSequence and InstallUISequence tables when
you embed this merge module into an installer. So could this be the
cause of the warnings I see when I build my installer?

Somewhere in my merge module I perform a registry search to get a
directory from the registry:
<Property Id="MYDIRECTORY">
  <RegistrySearch Id="REG_DirectorySearch" Type="raw"
    Root="HKLM" Key="Software\MyApplication" Name="InstallDir"/>
</Property>
*MYDIRECTORY is the ID of a Directory element.

When I remove this registry search, the AppSearch actions are also
removed from the 2 tables. And I don't get the warnings anymore when I
build the installer containing this merge module. The original problem,
that a registry key was not written when you run the installer, is also
gone now.

Am I using the RegistrySearch in a correct way? Or is there another way
to fill the Directory element with a value from the registry?