Ahh, this graph is awesome:
http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-200807-201303

Quick glimpse at the picture here says that since 2008 to support roughly
75% of the desktop market you had to support Windows XP & Windows 7.
Additionally, if you target Windows (which the WiX toolset does), somewhere
between 6-8% of the market is unavailable (Mac + Linux), which bumps up the
value of WinXP and Win7 a bit more. Craziness.

Yeah, so we obviously want to work well on Windows XP and Windows 7 and
keep an eye out on Windows 8+ (since the future always has a chance to
change the numbers). I still can't believe the VC team actually dropped
support for WinXP from VS2012 originally.