I strongly disagree with this. I think it's good style to have
working distro build scripts in the code base. If you use a
distro with a package manager, you will always prefer to build
the software for the package manager rather than putting stuff
to /usr/local where you depend on often sloppily written
'uninstall' make targets.

Of course using a package manager is better than installing using "make install". I think everyone agrees on that. But that doesn't mean the files used by a package manager should be provided by the package developer. That's what package maintainers are for.

Daniel is the maintainer of the "windowmaker-crm-git" package for Arch Linux, and I'm the maintainer of a similar package. For Arch Linux, we simply create a single build script file that automatically downloads, compiles, and creates the package. It's stored in it's own version control repository, as can be seen here:

http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/windowmaker-crm-git

Updating it and building it for a new version of Window Maker is incredibly simple.

I'm unfamiliar with the process of creating a package for Debian. Is it that much different and harder compared to Arch Linux? Doesn't Debian also have their own repository for the package build files? (maybe kix can help answer)

Does any other software project provide the package build files for different operating systems? (there aren't any that I know of)

Anyway, I see no need for the Window Maker developers to try to make packages for different operating systems. That's what GNU Autotools is for. Just announce that the current version of Window Maker is now (0.95.1), and all of the package maintainers will start using that.

drcouzelis