On 05/11/2013 21:57, Carlos R. Mafra wrote:
> On Tue,  5 Nov 2013 at 20:41:40 +0100, "Rodolfo García Peñas (kix)" wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> You are doing a very good job with window maker. Testing patches, trying
>> new things and of course, the git management. Is a hard work and you are
>> always ready to do it. I only can say, thanks a lot.
>>
>> However, I cannot understand your logic about don't include some patches
>> and the way to do it. Yesterday, some developers said that they agree
>> with the patches about WINGs theming, but you didn't include the
>> patches. You didn't explain why, you have your own idea about it (not
>> include them) and for you the topic is closed.
>
> It's been only a day or two since the patch and I'm still thinking and
> hoping to read more convincing arguments. It would help if the patch
> included an entry in the NEWS file to teach people about it (including
> the color syntax). Otherwise I think only a handful of people will be
> aware of it (nevermind use it).

Some patches were accepted and the NEWS file was updated later.

> I don't like the patch because it smells like "let's do it simply because

"I don't like" -> 1 person.
"I like" -> 3 people.

Outcome: The patch is not accepted (yet, sorry)

> we can, because it is cool to be able to change how the widgets look after
> all these years". I understand the reasons why someone thinks it is cool,
> but that is not a strong argument to include features (just think
> about what would happen otherwise).
>
> It is just me being conservative and trying to tell people what I think
> comes close to the edge of acceptance.

Who set the edge? Can more people change the edge?

>> We have other similar cases, like for example patches about window maker
>> replaces other window managers and others replace window maker [1].
>>
>> I feel uncomfortable with these situations.
>
> This is not too fair because it is biased, only the non-accepted
> patches are remembered and quoted.

No, as I said, you made/make a lot of good work. I am talking about the
decisionmaking. I don't like some patches were included, for example,
because they don't have a right code style, but the patches were
accepted. Yes, usually, you are the only person that checks the patches.

> And in this particular case you mention I said the patch would be
> accepted if it was not compiled by default.

I know what you said. But, why (only) you can say what is accepted or
not? Could you accept a patch in the git that you don't agree with?

http://lists.windowmaker.org/dev/msg05335.html
OTOH "DEBUG option"? IMO is not a debug option, is a feature.

> I try to be reasonable in my decisions, but I prefer to err on the
> conservative rather than the "accept all patches" side.

Yes, but there are more people in the mail list. Probably they can help
with the decisionmaking.

>> I think more people could upload changes to the git, the git upload
>> could be done using votes, more people review the patches,... be more
>> open.

I said this idea more times. But I had the same result.