I think we have the gist of the problem right there, in the lines quoted. I see a plain clash of perspectives there.

We *might* benefit from the new ideas, generated in the way of hobbie or otherwise. We *would* benefit from general production going forward.

I won't go so far as to declare the "production manager" some sort of supreme authority. However, it is obvious that not every idea is bound to make it into the (long-existing) software product, for which PM is, after all, responsible.

So I'd say there's an *urgent* need for some kind of contribution rejection procedure. Something like following: (a) Carlos (or anybody) with his PM's hat on has the first (immediate) say on what is *not* going in *right now*. (b) However, there also must be an (almost immediate) request for comments going into the list, formal-like. (c) If the request gathers no evidence supporting the innovation, everything stays as it was. (d) Otherwise, steps are taken etc.

I believe this is simple enough and sufficient to block (or alleviate) the rise of bad feelings.

And do not bother with forks, multiply repos etc., that's silly. There is no enough of human resource here as it is.

-Yury