Josip Deanovic <djosip+n...@linuxpages.net> escribió:

On Monday 2015-08-24 05:48:08 Rodolfo García  Peñas wrote:
IMO we could remove these menus because:

1. Are not documented. The user don't know how to create/use the menu.
2. Are not examples, only in the source code we can find how to
configure the menu.
3. The line to show the menu (in the source) is difficult to reach by
the user.

I am using the --enable-usermenu option every time when I prepare
windowmaker for compilation but I don't think that I have ever managed
to get some time and actually test and use the feature.

The feature seem to appear in the 0.53.0 and it is documented in the
NEWS file:

-----BEGIN-----
Application User Menu
---------------------

Applications with an appicon can have a user defined menu.

This menu will emulate keyboard events, and will be sent to the applications'
window(s), thus the application must accept key combinations (CTRL+N for
instance).

To enable this feature, #define USER_MENU in src/wconfig.h and place menu
files in ~/GNUstep/Defaults/UserMenus (/usr/local/etc/WindowMaker/UserMenus
globally).

The user menu is in PropList format and the filename is in:
<instance name>.<class name>.menu or application's main window.
(Example: the menu for xcalc would be - xcalc.XCalc.menu)

Example user menu syntax:

(
  "Calculator",
  ("Put 1", SHORTCUT, "2"),
  ("Functions",
    ("Put 2", SHORTCUT, "2"),
    ("Put 3,4 and 5", SHORTCUT, (3,4,5))
  ),
  ("Exit", SHORTCUT, "Control+q")
)
-----END-----

If I understand correctly this feature would make possible to use
"the user defined menu" or keyboard shortcut on the appicon of an
application to start emulating keyboard events on the application
window.

Hello,

I tried to create the menu file (~/GNUstep/Defaults/UserMenus/xcalc.XCalc.menu) with the contents included in the NEWS file. I am unable to use the menu. IMO the call is wrong, because is set in the wSetFocusTo function and in a place probably unreacheable. Could someone try to show the menu?

I will think about it, perhalps is a good idea have this menu...

OTOH, the usermenu is not compiled in Debian/Ubuntu by default.

Cheers,
kix
Rodolfo García Peñas (kix)
http://www.kix.es/