On Sep 4, 2012, at 15:51, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundg...@telia.com> wrote:

> On 2012-09-04 21:32, Jon Callas wrote:

>>> http://www.w3.org/2012/webcrypto
>>
>> This isn't the same thing. JOSE and all of that are doing crypto, and they
>> are doing it on the web, but it isn't web PKI, either server side nor client
>> side.
>
> Jon, in Korea there are 25M active certificates for consumers, in Sweden
> there are 5M.
> These schemes are based on proprietary client software.
> One of the targets of WebCrypto is to get rid of this software.
>
> Here is a private proposal on how this could be done:
>
>   http://webpki.org/papers/PKI/pki-webcrypto.pdf

Anders,

This is a laudable goal, and indeed something worth solving. It is also
something that JOSE addresses. It still isn't what we are talking about here.

Repeating my use case, Alice connects to example.com with TLS. The host
example.com authenticates to her with its certificate and she authenticates to
example.com with hers. At that point, there is a mutually-authenticated TLS
connection between them. This is a fine place to start using the webcrypto
protocols over that TLS connection for use cases including those in that paper.

I hope that what we would do in this working group would be to document edge
conditions that the usual PKI documents don't address in using a client certs.
I don't expect it to be much more than a few paragraphs, myself, but I'd be
willing to lose it for the larger goal.

Jon