On 2012-09-05 15:05, Jon Callas wrote:

> On Sep 4, 2012, at 15:51, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundg...@telia.com> wrote:

>>> This isn't the same thing. JOSE and all of that are doing crypto, and they
>>> are doing it on the web, but it isn't web PKI, either server side nor
>>> client side.
>>
>> Jon, in Korea there are 25M active certificates for consumers, in Sweden
>> there are 5M.
>> These schemes are based on proprietary client software.
>> One of the targets of WebCrypto is to get rid of this software.
>>
>> Here is a private proposal on how this could be done:
>>
>>   http://webpki.org/papers/PKI/pki-webcrypto.pdf
>
> Anders,
>
> This is a laudable goal, and indeed something worth solving.
> It is also something that JOSE addresses. It still isn't what we are talking
> about here.

Pardon my ignorance but I'm not sure then what you mean with client-side PKI.

> Repeating my use case, Alice connects to example.com with TLS.
> The host example.com authenticates to her with its certificate
> and she authenticates to example.com with hers. At that point,
> there is a mutually-authenticated TLS connection between them.
> This is a fine place to start using the webcrypto protocols
> over that TLS connection for use cases including those in that paper.

I don't think this applies to the payment example I outlined.
In such scenarios you authenticate the server but not the client.
The client rather signs (authorizes) a request.  The request
may even be rerouted behind the curtain to another party
(like your bank), although it (for the user) looks like you
actually pay directly to the merchant.

> I hope that what we would do in this working group would be to
> document edge conditions that the usual PKI documents don't address
> in using a client certs.

I have no idea what this could be so I look forward to any kind of
documentation.
I'm personally trying to get the basics going because currently it doesn't work
well at all.

Anders

I don't expect it to be much more than a few paragraphs, myself, but I'd be
willing to lose it for the larger goal.