Actually I think it's easy to get too anal about it all.   The vast majority
of users (and by that I do mean the VAST majority) for most site are using
only a few browsers.    For example,  I have been contracting for one of
Australia's biggest subscription sites, and the user profile is a group of
the most  anti-microsoft, pedantic, consumer-oriented people you can
imagine.  A couple of years ago we agonised about whether to allow
javascript on the site.  But when the IE4 (and similar) browsers reduced to
less than 2% of our traffic, we permitted it.   We had ONE - count it .. ONE
- complaint.  And that from a luddite board member, and a quick trip up to
his office with a CD and he had an up to date browser.

A year later, we decided on a similar basis to leave behind us all browsers
earlier than IE5.  This represented about 3% of our users.  From several
hundred thousand users per month, we had TWO complaints.   We helped them
upgrade to later browsers and everyone was happy.

Our standard was to build so the site looked ok in IE, NN, Opera at the
current agreed minimum (IE5 at the time I'm talking about) and everyone else
was on their own.

The site has run fine with very few complaints about accessibility and
appearance.  Yes, there are issues with browsers.  And yes, the site might
look different on one computer than another.  We know we had a bank of
computers side by side in our lab to check.  But each one looked ok in
itself, even though different in colours, layout, sizes etc than its
neighbours.

This site is an organisation that doesn't want to lose a single subscriber.
Someone writing saying "I'm cancelling my subscription because ... " causes
a fuss.  Major enquiry sometimes. But in order to have effective running of
the web content department, they were prepared to cater to the 97% of users
and lose the 3% if they wouldn't move up to the current level.

Web development is an imprecise business, and inevitably a lot of
compromises have to be made.  Face it, you're not going to have everyone
seeing precisely the same things on their screens.  As long as everyone sees
something acceptable is what you have to live with.   You are never going to
get everyone seeing the exact same thing on their screens. For a start their
hardware doesn't render the colours identically.  So get over it.

In my mind, building with web standards has had immediate effects on my
bottom line as a one-man developer.  My code is simpler.  FAR simpler.  I
can find the bits of the code I want to change faster than before, and
paying more attention to structure has meant my code is more structured too.

I'm sold on this stuff not just to make the sites accessible and flexible,
but for sheer good business in my shop.

Cheers
Mike Kear