I would still like to know

Have you ever had a project that was basically on an emergency basis, was only trying to fix something that somebody else had done poorly and in a months time would tossed once the problem was fixed?

It's like that. Small budget and it needed to be done about 10 years ago.

Just wondering if you know that you can make navigation items stay fixed
in one position (which used to be the main reason for using frames),
without using frames. i.e. http://www.saila.com/usage/layouts/

Interesting stuff, but we have too much messy data to deal with. This wouldn't do the trick.

Accessibility for the 3 people who will be dealing with this thing isn't our biggest concern. Certainly, I'm trying to resolve any annoying little bugs, but the scrollbar thing won't stop anybody from doing what needs to be done.

When it's all finished then there will be time to build a proper interface for things, but now isn't the time for that.