I'd argue that the best compromise are elastic layouts, where things
are positioned and sized in relation to other factors like font size.

To say that if we just set our width to 100% or something
and rejoice that the site will work in all sizes is misguided;
there will always be extremes at both ends of the spectrum (really
large desktop sizes, really tiny handheld displays) which will need a
complete rethink.

As for "can I claim AA", I'd say the most pragmatic approach would be
- and I know I keep banging on about it, but hear me out once more -
to create separate stylesheets, a "designery" one (with fixed/elastic
layout, pastel colours, small-ish font size, all that stuff) and a
more accessible one (flexbile layout, higher contrast, slightly large
font sizes, etc) and a clear, simple, and obviously accessible mechanism
to switch between them. A bit like the "if you can't make it accessible,
offer an accessible alternative" idea (and certainly a lot better than
"text only" versions).

And going back to the problem of extremes (ultra large/ultra small displays),
I could envisage a few more stylesheets available..."lightweight" (which could
also be set to media="handheld" for instance (if any of those little bleeders
actually support/understand it), "widescreen", "tv" (again, couple with a media="tv"
attribute)...

(to muddy the waters further, there's also, in my mind, an issue of
adapting the content itself to the context; if I'm using a browser on a small mobile
phone and access, say, a cinema website, I don't care about the flash intro, the
sections about the history of that particular company, etc...I'm just after a quick
way to check times when movies are playing; the context is different, my purpose is
different, and possibly the site should be different - maybe as a separate domain,
or in any case showing a different view into the same data that is more tailored
to that specific situation. heck, I'm digressing quite badly here)

But yes, my personal opinion, worth about GBP0.02 or less :)

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk