To Fix or not to Fix, dang we're back in Shakespeare's
time with To Be or Not To Be, that is the question.

Let's start with the easy stuff ... fonts.

If you use font-size: percentage, then your layer or table
layout widths should be in percentages.
If you use font-size: em, then your layer or table layout
widths should be in em's.

But, do you know what they both do?

Interestingly enough, they take the default font size set
in the browser and use it as a basis.  If the font-family
is a sans-serif and the user set the browser to 10pt then
100% would be equal in size to 10pt.  If the you used
em's, then the 1em would be equal in size to the 10pt.
This allows the visitor the ability to declare their own
font sizes without the use of programming a stylesheet ...
effectively they are with setting defaults in their
browser.

So, if I come in and say that I want me font-size to be
1em or 100% then my font size is relative to the browser's
default.

Now, coming in and using the width attribute with fixed
values will obviously cause your width to maintain a fixed
value.  This is unfriendly to the users of screens smaller
than the values you set.  It also doesn't always look
professional on larger screens - in some people's
opinions.

By applying percentages you end up running the problem
with the presentation causing drip effects in font
presentations once the font-size gets too large.  The drip
effect is when the words start dripping off the line and
eventually it will start dripping more quickly so as to
make the words drip their letters as well. (Yes, I coined
the term "drip effect").

The only truly scalable width is the em.  As you increase
the default font-size, the width increases as well.  For
example, if my default sans-serif is 10pt and I change
that to 72pt, then 1em becomes equal to 72pt.  If my
mobile device uses a font-size of 6pt then 1em is equal to
6pt.  But, please don't try to use 6pt on a regular
computer.

The problem with using scalable widths is people tend to
not use them correctly.  They'll use a scalable width such
as 100% for the width and then turn around and use px or
pt for their font-size.  I've done it many times ... shame
on me.

But, now you know how to use scalable widths ... you have
to use them with scalable font-sizes.

So, I guess your next question would be how many em's
would I need to use to make my presentation fill the
screen without scrolling right?  That is a good question
and one I can't answer.  In fact, you couldn't answer it
either even if you guessed.  The reason you can't is
because of the visitor.  Each visitor can set their own
font-size values in their browser.  And, since the em is
based upon the font-size selected by the visitor, we have
no control.

My best advice is to tinker until you are happy with the
default presentation.  But, remember, you will make
someone scroll right eventually.  For example, if the
800x600 only hold 75em's wide and you decrease the screen
resolution to less than that the user will have to scroll.
But, still the em is the only truly scalable width.

The purpose of having scalable widths is to help prevent
the "drip effect".

I hope this helps.

Lee Roberts
http://www.roserockdesign.com