Andy Budd wrote:
> If you are embedding widths in the HTML this is definitely an issue.
> However if you are doing it using CSS, these devices should really use
> 'handheld' stylesheets instead of those intended for 'screen'.

Indeed they should. Unfortunately, a lot of mobile browsers (such as PPC
IE) apply the screen media type.

> I doubt that using a flexible layout would be that much better. Take
> your typical 3 col layout for instance. Reduced down to a mobile phone
> sized screen you'd have exactly the same issue as described in your
> first para. i.e. The text in each col would be so squashed up as to be
> unreadable.

For some (maybe most) devices, sure, but some screens (especially those
on PDA's and PDA-style phones) are wide enough to accommodate
multi-column layouts. It depends what you need to do with your design. 3
columns would certainly be pushing it, but two column or (obviously)
single column designs would probably usually work better within a fluid
design. Like I say, it comes down to what you're trying to do with the
page.

Dog Boy

Patrick Griffiths (PTG)
 http://www.htmldog.com/ptg/