A while a go, I wrote a bit about the problems with IE [1], and asked myself (and anyone reading) some questions about why Microsoft has not done anything to make IE better in several years.

Several interesting theories are mentioned in the comments, but what I think is most likely closest to the truth is in comment #26 [2]. A quote:

"Microsoft is not improving standards support in IE because they want to discourage the use of the browser as a platform for developing applications that are not operating system dependant. Improving support for CSS, PNG, and other standards such as Xforms, etc. would only make the browser a better application platform.

It doesn’t matter if Microsoft owns the browser market. If developers switch over to creating standards based web applications Microsoft loses control of their customers. Standards based web applications can be easily run in competing browsers and, yes, even on competing operating systems."

So, you may want to forward this theory and ask them how close to the truth it is.

[1] < http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200412/ internet_explorer_is_already_breaking_the_web/ >
[2] < http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200412/ internet_explorer_is_already_breaking_the_web/#comment2433 >

/Roger

--