Robin Berjon wrote:
Geoff Deering wrote:
Does anyone use transparent content negotiation to handle multiple language sites?  I get the feeling this is hardly ever used, if so, why not?

The problem IME is that when you use it you have to also provide a way for the user to pick her language which will override the negotiation (I've been accessing the Web a lot from computers localized in Japanese recently, and they're probably not sending Accept-Language headers that reflect the reality of languages I can really "accept" :). It's not complicated to mix both together but the extra feature of negotiating the default language rarely seems worth it.

I am using ip2couuntry class in PHP to decide the default lanuage.

Thanks to Evandro who sent me a link to his site in Portugese and English.  The site in question does not use the language attribute as inteneded (as far as I understand) all Lan attributes are set to en for Portugese, Itallian and English.

What is the web standards best practise for multi-lingual sites

  1. Should I use en or en-GB is the casing important?
  2. What charset should I use for the Itallian version the same as english or other?
  3. Are the any link available to webstandard best practise examples?
many thanks >> SS