Hi Vaska,

You really need to give us the URL of the page that this occurs on so others can test it.

We also need to know os/ver and browser/ver it occurs on to emulate it.

Opening it as a local file is not a good test (unless the page is destined for a CD-ROM or Kiosk). These things can get complicated by the charset the server sends in the request header as well as the font specified in the CSS and what fonts are installed on your machine etc.Thus, the code snippet below really doesn't tell us much.

Please try a version of your page in valid HTML 4.01 Transitional and see if the behaviour is the same. As you're not using an XML prologue (like <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> ) in your XHTML page I wonder if the behaviour is an xml parser thing. May be way off with that as well. Just a thought.

Unicode isn't a simple fix-all solution. It makes it easy for simple things like European keyboard inputs (French, German, Spanish etc.) but once you get to the non-latin charsets it gets difficult. I don't believe (though I haven't read the docs for a while now) that all the characters required for a universal solution are included in UTF-8. From (distant) memory you have to go to something like UTF-16 or UTF-32 to get anywhere near the number of characters required for all languages and I don't know that browser support is very good with those and I don't think they were even intended for web use.

Don't believe me though as I am certainly not an expert in the field and I am very rusty in my recollection, go and read the specs for yourself in your own context. There are myriad resources on this subject online. Some of them listed in http://webstandardsgroup.org/go/resourcecat18.cfm

Bottom line is that if you're doing Arabic or Chinese or Korean etc. characters, you may still need to be conservative and do it in a basic way like http://www.gt.nsw.gov.au/information/chinese.htm using something specific like <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=big5" lang="zh"> and maybe (I have been led to believe) suggest a decent default font family for this charset.

No need to apologise about using tables. It really bugs me that "tables" have such a bad name round here that people feel they have to apologise even when using them correctly. Yes, you'll probably be ridiculed if you use them for page layout but don't feel even the slightest bit bad about using them for their intended purpose.

Peter

This is my header...

<head>
<title>Page title</title>