Andreas Boehmer [Addictive Media] wrote:
 The reason I cannot simply put both icons into <a>
tags is that they have to be separated by more than just space for
accessibility reasons.

I would argue, though, that this checkpoint has purely technical reasons, and that the situation in which adjacent links can cause problems (as far as I remember, Netscape 4 in combination with Outspoken on Mac OS 9) is fairly uncommon nowadays, making it obsolete (as per the "until user agents" clause).

Sure, it won't pass automated dumb testing, but I doubt that the vast majority of real users (even those with disabilities) will have any access problems if there is only a single space (or even nothing at all) between those links.

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com