At 01:39 AM 8/25/2005, designer wrote:
All I can say is that, as a sighted viewer, if I encountered a site with 100 links, each of which which opened in the same window, I'd be outa there faster than you can say 'back button' :-)

I've been wondering of late if there is another way out of this: just like we can change the colours etc by changing the CSS, (style switching) how about if the user gets a choice by selecting certain site characteristics at start up? Has anyone tried this and taken it as far as choice of how new windows open?

Bob,

What I do routinely as a web user, when I don't want to lose the current page, is to right-click on links to bring up the context menu (mouse-keystroke combination on the Mac) and open them in a new window (--> new tab in Firefox). This method of choosing how to open new links is so simple and easy and as far as I know cross-browser, I don't see much necessity in creating new methods for choosing the open-path.

What are the situations in which the browser can't let you decide in the moment to open a new window or not? One is javascript-driven links which often mandate a new or old window and rob the user of the ability to choose.

Regards,
Paul