From: Paul Novitski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 11:54 AM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: RE: [WSG] another 'open new window' dilemma

At 11:00 AM 8/25/2005, Janelle Clemens wrote:
>Who says opening a new window is bad practice.  Especially if it is an
>outside link.   I've been searching the web for information on this and
>finding nothing.   My understanding of web accessibility and 508 is to make
>everything as clear a possible.    If there is a guideline out there that
>states "Thou shall not open new window" please post the link.

Janelle,

As I understand it, when a new window opens a user depending on a screen
reader can easily get confused.  The new window will take the place of the
old one but won't have a history for the Back button.  How can the user get
back where they came from?  Should they close the current window, close the
current tab (in a tabbed browser such as Firefox or Opera), or toggle tabs
or windows to return to their previous page?  If they've got multiple
applications open, it could be time-consuming and frustrating to find one's
way back.

Presumably if we include sufficient warnings within the link itself then
folks will know ahead of time that a new window will open and will know how
to deal with it.  But I don't know if this answers all of the concerns.

Regards,
Paul