On 9/19/05, Martin Heiden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
on Montag, 19. September 2005 at 11:01 you wrote:

> CSS or you can change the HTML output to
> become <span class="red">some_text</span> and define .red in the CSS as
> well. Simplified example maybe but it explains things a little bit.

But you mix structure and visual display. If you'd call the class
"importanttext" you'd only have to change the css if you want to let
it appear blue instead of red:

.importanttext {
  /* color: red; */
  color: blue;
}

Martin's correct, class="red" is putting presentation in the markup. The main problem is you'll be tempted to change the color: red to color: white in teh CSS and then you've got a class name of red that's actually displayed as white. You'd have to adjust all your html to fix this ( ss template or otherwise ).

Back on the topic of caching, HTTP v1.1 has better cache control than 1.0. Older proxies and web servers using HTTP v1.0 are problematic since they don't support / pass the correct header paramaters back to the browser. Hopefully all these v1.0 systems will be put out to pasture.

Kym mentioned the HTTP return code 304 "Not Modified". This is the correct mechanism for cache control and designed to reduce the redundant over head of requesting unchanged content.

I advise anyone interested in understanding this process look at these Firefox extensions

http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=967

Chris