On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 08:31:21 +0800, Bert Doorn wrote:
> Have we reached (or largely reached) the "until user agents" stage
> yet?  What implications is ignoring this guideline likely to have
> (other than not getting "tick marks" from various automated tools),
> given I use properly coded labels and (where needed) fieldsets for
> the inputs?

I am reliably informed we have reached that point and that including
default text now causes more problems than it solves.
However I do not have many references to back this up -
http://www.accessifyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3346 is one public
discussion.
Note that it doesn't appear in WCAG 2.0

Other non-public discussions that I have archived suggest that it
should always be scripted away, and not shown if javascript is
disabled, and that a space is a good value if you really want to do it.

HIH!
Lea
--
Lea de Groot