Bert Doorn wrote:
Is it really necessary for accessibility to "include default place-holding characters in edit boxes and text areas" per WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 10.4? Is that an obsolete guideline?

Personally, I'd say it is an obsolete guideline indeed. However, I recently heard on the WAI IG list that some braille software requires at least a space as a placeholder, otherwise it just does not expose inputs to the user. I'd argue that this is a fault of the software...but it's something that might have to be taken into consideration.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2005JulSep/0034.html

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com