On 14/11/2005, at 11:31 AM, Bert Doorn wrote:

Is it really necessary for accessibility to "include default place-holding characters in edit boxes and text areas" per WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 10.4? Is that an obsolete guideline?

Have we reached (or largely reached) the "until user agents" stage yet? What implications is ignoring this guideline likely to have (other than not getting "tick marks" from various automated tools), given I use properly coded labels and (where needed) fieldsets for the inputs? It seems crazy to repeat the label text (or slightly amended info) in the input for people to overwrite (and some will perhaps leave it in there!)

Leaving it there can be a problem. I have seen a demonstration (at a Melbourne WSG meeting, no less) where the agent placed the cursor at the end of the place-holding text without reading it. There is a real danger that the user will enter text without knowing that the place-holding text is there.

10.4 has been deprecated in the WCAG 2.0 Working Draft, if that helps any.
        http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2005/06/30-mapping.html
But it's only draft, remember.
--
Jonathan O'Donnell