-----Original Message-----
From: Geoff Deering [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

*Another* thing I see that is happening in design a lot lately is that
input fields are in greyed background by design, not function.  What
this is telling the user is that that field is *read only*.  That is the
standard way operating systems manage read only data, and the same way
it is done on web based systems.  It's absolutely sending the wrong
message to users, when the input field is open to accept data input.

If users are used to working on complex data retrieval systems, where
there is a lot of read only data, then they will be confused by this
because this type of design breaks the standard by which GUI's
function.  If this type of design continues, it will only confuse users
more.

Geoff Deering