Web Man Walking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thanks Jon.  I thought I was going nuts.  I have had a shot of the site on
clients Mac and it is IE he is using. It does take over a minute to render
the code on each page!

yw Ed. Thought so.

Code
validates and seems OK to me?  Am I just missing something obvious?

To put it as gently as I can, yes: [1] Personally I put the user agents I design to in the job spec/quote so there re no misunderstandings later along the lines of, 'it doesn't look the sme in NN4 and FF'. [2] Consultation as to why supporting a certain agent is being depracated / depreciated if needed. E.g. Cost for extra work, audience use percentage etc. [3] Valid code doesn not mean the pages will look as you require in the browser. I'd suggest development in a standards compliant browser and cross-checking cross browser and platform _before_ showing the client in all other browsers as you go, rather than getting surprises at the end.

OK that doesn't help you right now but as others have suggested, pointing out that the IE5.2- audience will make up (I'm guessing based on stats I monitor) <1% of the audience might help. The alterntive is (I assume not realistic) gettting a Mac, testing and re-writing your code.