From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Paula Petrik
Sent: Wednesday, 14 December 2005 4:50 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: [WSG] CSS and the University Syllabus

The discussion on "CSS Driven?" prompted me to query the group on something
that has been bothering me for some time; namely, of all the templates
available on the web, there are very few that address the academic
syllabus--despite the fact that there are thousands
(millions?) of syllabi on the web. At first glance, putting a syllabus on
the web looks to be a no-brainer, but it strikes me that a syllabus is a
special beast and poses some structural and presentational problems.

For example, I have been including a table on the schedule page of the
course sites  to delineate what's to be done when because it seems to be
tabular data--"week" in one column and "work" (of various
kinds) in another. (Yes, I have lived in fear of the Table Police.) I have
tried to do the schedule using divs, but it seems hopelessly complicated and
not worth the effort. Recently, I've begun to think that the readings are,
in fact, a list and should be written accordingly. Using <caption> seems to
pose difficulties. Is it necessary? Should "Readings" and "Internet Visits?"
be tagged as <h3> and styled accordingly? Why not just leave them with their
How to connect the main site with things that apply to all classes to each
course?

Here are some examples from the past term:

http://archiva.net/hist120ay05/hist120ay05_schedule.htm
http://www.archiva.net/hist389ay05/hist389ay05_schedule.htm
http://www.archiva.net/hist616ay05/hist616ay05_schedule.htm

Please note that there are important elements missing, among them "skip
nav." I have had to do these very quickly but am doing an entire redesign to
address these lacunae; these examples will shortly go into the archives
along with the really tacky ones. Any advice will be gratefully received.
Paula
Paula Petrik
Professor
Department of History & Art History