Tables are only frowned upon when they are used to mark up data that is not even remotely tabular, simply to achieve visual layout.

Yep, especially when nested :-)

Just today I came across a site that nests tables up to 9 levels deep. With a menu of 6 links that uses 5.5kB of code. They were trying to sell me their software that generates this rubbish. I'm telling them that until they clean up their act, I wouldn't recommend it if they paid me :-) But they probably don't care.

Anyway, I digress. If you have tabular data, put it in a table - that's what they are for!

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Better Web Design
http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/