Martin Heiden, starting a new thread, wrote Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:14:13
+0100:

>   I read a lot of threads about font-sizing lately, but I still did
>   not catch the point of best practice yet.

Among designers, I don't think you'll ever find a consensus on what it
is. Among usability and accessibility experts, I'll think you'll find
them pretty unanimous in saying in essence don't mess with user
defaults. Don't expect all the latter to practice what they preach
though.

>   On the other hand, I don't know anyone who changed the default
>   font-size in his/her browser,

As Lachlan Hunt wrote shortly after you asked, how many have is
irrelevant. There's not only the issue of not knowing how many have, but
also of not knowing how many knowing that they could and how to do it
wouldn't change anything anyway, or at least, not the same as the
designer would.

> but lot's of people (mostly designers)
> who prefer smaller font-sizes.

It may be a high proportion of web designers who do, little short of
100% it seems, but they constitute but a small fraction of people using
the web. OTOH, I'll bet as a group they use larger than average computer
displays to do their work, and also as a group, they don't have worse
than average vision.

>   Well, the question is: Which group of people is more important? Or

I prefer to prefer those who have to use a site over those who simply
own it. Generally there are far more of the former than the latter.

>   better: Is there a way to please both groups?

I don't think you can dichotomize into only two groups. I think you have
to determine on your own what the "right thing to do" is based upon what
you know and can readily learn, what you're trying to do, and who you're
trying to do it for. We know some things, we have a gut feeling for some
things, and we speculate about other things.

As it happens, there have been published studies that show what web
users prefer in size, and there's no correlation between the results of
those studies and the text size on the average web site other than the
average web site having smaller size text (typically 7.5-10pt) than the
studies show users want (~12pt on average, larger among seniors).

Here's my definition of user default-based (subject to adjustment for
things I forget about):

A-relative sizes only, either keywords, % or em, plus pt at 11.0 or
above may be considered when a close correlation between onscreen and
printed is highly desirable; subject to exceptions below
B-text smaller than CSS small permitted only for: superscripts,
subscripts, math equations, copyright notices, "footers" (except for
contact information), captions for very small images, and very small
blocks of "fine print". In addition, pt may be specified at 8.0 or above
when printed output is particularly important.
C-text smaller than medium but no smaller than CSS small permitted only
for: large blocks of "fine print", navlists/menus, breadcrumbs, captions
for small images, necessarily wide code blocks, very large tables of
numerical data, selects, contact information in "footers", headings for
items in B above. In addition, pt may be specified for these items at
9.5pt or above when printed output is particularly important.
D-notwithstanding B & C, examples of particular text sizes may be
whatever size the demonstration attempts to show, and incidental text in
images not meant to be read may be considered as just a portion of the
image instead of real text.
E-high contrast color scheme suitable for people with common
manifestations of color blindness.
F-As font-family interplays heavily with font-size, a non-generic
font-family may not be specified for main content paragraphs unless
its x-height is common-web-font-average or more. This means none of
the common Times families are large enough. Specifying no font-family
at all for main content paragraphs is preferable. Specifying Times
New Roman at 1em is roughly equivalent to .8em to someone whose
default is Verdana. http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/test.html

Here's what I know:

1-When you don't design user default-based, you're guaranteed to
displease the unknowable non-zero number of those who have affirmatively
adjusted their settings according to their preferences/requirements for
pages that respect their settings.

2-When you don't design user default-based, you're virtually guaranteed
to displease the unknowable non-zero number of those who find the hand
they were dealt acceptable. This includes many in corporate environments
where the sysadmins have preconfigured all systems to something other
than factory settings, and many users of windoze systems set by the
vendor or manufacturer to settings other than the traditional doze
defaults of 96 DPI and 800x600.

3-When you don't design user default-based, the number and character of
those who find your design perfectly acceptable will exclude the two
groups above, and otherwise be a random and unknowable number that
includes many who really don't care one way or another, unlikely to ever
give anyone any feedback about your design.

Here's what I suspect:

1-The people paying the designers and web carpenters mostly have little
or no clue of the ramifications of their choices of what they want in a
site, and rarely actually use them themselves. Most of the few who do
actually use them will not admit to anyone when they find their own site
difficult, because this would be an expensive admission of a mistake in
the line of duty.

2-The designers and web carpenters, being largely artists and detail
oriented, are mostly less than stellar in the sales and educating
clients skill departments.
--
"Love your neighbor as yourself."                Mark 12:31 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/auth