Actually the alt text was descriptive on the test site, I just used 'logo' for the example. However, the description had the same problems I mentioned. The link also added to the verbosity when read aloud by JAWS.

Justin Owens wrote:
* the img alt text read 'logo' but the link went to home

Your alt attribute should be modified to correctly represent the
actual image. IMHO, 'logo' is not descriptive enough to be used as
alternative text for a linked image. I view it much the same as using
'picture' on a photo. You are not conveying additional useful
information.