I've noticed that a lot of articles about web design seem to assume that
the web developer/designer is working in the commercial sector, and
often it's assumed that we're freelance too.

As an example, we'll often see arguments on here based on "the target
audience" meaning e.g. that you're designing a website designed to sell
a product -- your product is nappies, therefore your audience is parents
with babies. Public websites often have a target audience of "everyone".

Lots of web content gets made, as Richard Stallman said about software,
just because it needs to be made: shrink-wrapped, boxed commercial
software is the tip of the iceberg compared to all the apps and drivers
and utilities and tools in the world which are created without any
thought of profit, simply because they're needed.

So I wonder, how many people on this list are in the commercial sector
and how many are in the non-profit / public / government / education
sector?

The information contained in this email and any attachment is confidential and
may contain legally privileged or copyright material.   It is intended only for
the use of the addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient of this
email, you are not permitted to disseminate, distribute or copy this email or
any attachments.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email from your system.  The ABC does not
represent or warrant that this transmission is secure or virus free.   Before
opening any attachment you should check for viruses.  The ABC's liability is
limited to resupplying any email and attachments