> On 10/4/07, Andreas Boehmer [Addictive Media]
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Whether their decisions were right or wrong in our eyes is not the
> point.
> > They have got the right to make those decisions because they are a
> private
> > company.
> >

> Do they have that right? Are you sure?
> If they had a sign out front
> their store that said "No short people allowed" would you argue for
> their right to make that decision? If a blind person showed up to
> their store, and the staff decided to not give that person the right
> change, would you argue that it's the blind person's fault for being
> stupid enough to try to buy from target in the first place?

Giving the incorrect change to somebody has got nothing to do with the whole
discussion. We are not talking about ripping people off, we are talking
about the kind of services they choose to provide to their customers and the
ones they don't.

There is also a difference between discriminating people by telling a select
group of people that they are not allowed to enter the store in comparison
to providing the ability to enter the store. Should every store in the world
be forced to provide a ramp for wheelchair access? No. Is it logical to do
so for the large stores that serve thousands of people every day? Yes. But
just because it is a logical thing to do doesn't mean they should be forced
to do it. If they don't do it, they lose money. End of story.

> > Would anybody go and sue the local grocery store for having an
> inaccessible
> > website? No. Because nobody would expect them to spend much time or
> money or
> > effort into building a website that works. So where do you draw the
> line?
>
> You draw it at the company that you do reasonably expect to have a
> website that works.

You can't treat company's different before the law just because one is
making more money than the other. Now THAT would be discrimination.