Hi Tee

You are correct: Opera doesn't do opacity. The best way I have found is to use
an opaque transparent PNG, which will work on everything not IE6.
For IE6, use one of their opacity "filter:" things.
Not to helpful with those fade effects but it will work in your case.

With Opera I have a feeling the lack of opacity has something to do with Qt -
the same reason why Konquerer 3.x doesn't do the opacity rule. From my
reading of the KDE 4 changes using Qt4, opacity is one of the easy things to
do. I have no idea whether Opera uses Qt4 or 3 but it may filter through in
time to a new Opera release (try Opera 9.5 beta - it may have it already).

There are some Opera people on this list so maybe they can comment ?

If you present your site like it is - easily readable - should it be a concern
that Opera isn't doing what you expect? It reads fine in FF and Opera.
Generally Opera users will upgrade pretty quickly when a new version comes out
so my advice would be to wait until Opera picks up opacity.

HTH
James