wouldn't "best practise for CSS sprites" include image quality?

On Nov 25, 2008, at 11:23 AM, Brett Patterson wrote:

First of all, No I am not! Second I have tried out differences. Notice the difference in file sizes. Thirdly, I did not say that png did not support 8-bit, nowhere does it say that, it does however say that GIF only supports a maximum of 256 colors. Fourthly, Todd your argument is off subject, because neither MIke nor me ever mentioned it looking best, although I would have to agree, PNG most certainly does look best, depending on the image. And fifthly, Mike, sorry, but no, without using a PNGGauntlet or whatever, I am not. All I simply stated is that gif files have to be smaller, (probably should have said before) without using pnggauntlet. And I say without, because anyone else may not have, or know where to get it. Well...and sixthly, I use PNGs just as much you, but there are a lot of times when PNGs will not cut the job, and GIFs are, again, majority of the time smaller and better.

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Christian Montoya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Foskett, Mike
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sorry Brett, you're wrong.
>
> The png format will handle three levels of bit-depth including 8- bit which
> is the same as the gif format.
>
> The references you state are somewhat outdated and don't consider the
> different methods of compression that a png will handle natively.
>

> I suggest you try a few comparisons out yourself.
>
> They don't always work out smaller but most often they do.

Seconded. You can make 8 bit PNGs with as little as 8 colors or as
many as 256. Just try "Save for Web & Devices" in Photoshop CS3. I
don't even bother with GIFs anymore, the 8-bit PNGs come out smaller
almost every time.