Gif Vs PNG

If using PNG 8 / GIF, with the same amount of colours. Say 256.

Gif are often smaller than PNG in small sizes, less than 20px by 20px
example. I'll have to find out at what point a PNG is lighter. I suspect
it's around 500px.
In all the other cases PNG images will be lighter.

Although I haven't tested smshit and other tools, but they might remove
information from the header to make it lighter then GIF in every case.

The header in the PNG file is bigger than the header in GIF files, but uses
less space to save the image information.
That's why a PNG is heavier at really small size but will always be smaller
at larger sizes.

Although if you use the "Save As" then PNG in Photoshop  instead of "Save
for web".
Photoshop adds an overhead of about 35kb-40kb (not really 20%), not sure
why, but probably color preset info, and a load of other stuff.
Shitty converters probably do the same.

Differences between FF and IE:

Gamma differences... That's not a really a browser related problem
(arguable).
The gamma is adjusted to have the images look the same on both Mac and
Windows. (1.8 vs 2.2 gamma)
Some browsers don't adjust gamma and some others do.

I usually don't save any colour information in the files, it's less trouble
with differences in the image colours and the colours set in the style
sheet. And I'm mostly working with print designers which doesn't help.

To remove any colours info, I think http://smushit.com/ can be used. In
photoshop, just uncheck "Convert to sRGB".
Although don't forget to colour proof whatever you do; "Mac sRGB", "Win
sRGB" an then "Proof Colors".

Cheers,
Johan

Johan Douma